Calendars For Mount Rainier Board of Elections
Important Election Dates 2019
1. Friday, April 5, 2019 – Last Day for Voter Registration Application to be RECEIVED by Prince Georges County or Maryland State Board of Elections
2. Friday, April 5, 2019 – Last Day for City Voter Registration Application to be RECEIVED by the Mount Rainier Board of Elections
3. Wednesday, April 17, 2019 – Mount Rainier Business Association Candidate Forum held at the Mediterranean Café 3237 Rhode Island Avenue Mount Rainier, MD 20712 from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
4. Monday, April 29, 2019 – Last day to request Absentee Ballot for 2019 Municipal Elections
5. Monday, May 6, 2019 ELECTION DAY – Polls Open from 7:00AM to 8:00PM
6. Monday, May 6th, 2019 – Absentee ballots must be submitted by 8:00PM
7. Unofficial 2019 Election results presented after poll is closed and all ballots counted
8. Monday May 13th, 2019 – Swearing in of new City Council
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: When and where is the 2019 Election Day in the City of Mount Rainier?
A: Election Day is Monday, May 6th; Polls open at City Hall: 7:00AM-8:00PM
Q: What elected offices will be on the ballot?
A: Ward 1: One (1), four-year City Council Seat
Ward 2: One (1), four-year City Council Seat
Q: When can I meet the candidates?
A: Candidate Forums:
Q: How do I register to vote?
A: There are two ways to register to vote in the City of Mount Rainier:
(1) IF you are eligible to vote in state and federal elections, you can register with the State of Maryland: elections.state.md.us OR (2) through MRBOE by contacting City Hall at 301.985.6585 or email@example.com
Q: Can all Mount Rainier residents vote in City elections, regardless of citizenship status?
A: Yes, so long as they have registered by the Friday, April 5, 2019 deadline and have been a resident of Mount Rainier, Maryland for 30 days prior to the date of the election, which is May 6, 2019.
Q: Who can register voters for the City of Mount Rainier?
A: At this time, only MRBOE members can officially register voters using the City of Mount Rainier, Maryland Voter Registration forms.
Q: I am already registered to vote with the State of Maryland, do I have to submit a separate registration to vote in the City Election?
A: No, if you are already a registered voter in the State of Maryland, you do not have to submit a separate registration.
Q: What is the deadline to register to vote in order to vote on Election Day?
A: Friday, April 5, 2019 by 5:00pm
Q: Is there early voting for the Mount Rainier City Election?
A: No. However, the city offers the option to request an absentee ballot in advance of voting day.
Q: How do I get an absentee ballot?
A: Contact the City Clerk at 301.985.6585 or MRBOE at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an application for an absentee ballot.
Q: When are Absentee ballots due?
A: Absentee ballots must be received by 8:00PM on Election Day, or postmarked no later than May 6, 2019, and delivered by May 7, 2019.
Q: If I request an absentee ballot by using the Application for Absentee Ballot Request Form, can I change my mind and vote in person?
A: No. If you request an Absentee Ballot, you will be marked as “voted” and cannot vote in person on Election Day.
Q: When is the last day to request an Absentee Ballot using the Application for Absentee Ballot request form?
A: Monday, April 29, 2019, 5:00PM.
Q: I have a concern about the conduct of the Mount Rainier Board of Elections, an elected official, or a candidate for office. Who should I contact with my concerns?
A: Contact City Hall and ask to speak with a member of the Ethics Commission.
Q: How do I know what Ward I belong to?
A: Contact City Hall or reference the map of Wards on the City’s website.
Q: I am a candidate and would like to have access to the registered voter list, when can I access the list?
A: For the County list, contact the county to see how soon after the April 5 deadline the list can be received. For City registered residents, contact MRBOE with the request, which will be available a few days after the April 5 deadline: email@example.com
Q: Is there a ride service for getting to the polls?
A: Unfortunately, Call-A-Bus is no longer available to transport voters to the election site.
Q: How can I get information and assistance for the election if I don’t have online access or access to email?
A: Contact City Hall at 301-985-6585, and leave a message for the Mount Rainier Board of Elections.
Rules for Campaign Signs
Election campaign signs shall not be placed in any public park, recreation area, highway median, public right-of-way, or other grounds owned by the City, County, or State. Signs placed in such areas will be removed and destroyed by Public Works. Candidates may place signs or other campaign information in residents’ yards with permission of the residents.